Lessons Learned from Being a Partner

It's good to be back with another update: tomorrow will be my last day as a partner at my firm. I'm leaving it so that I can represent the other side (meaning, injured workers). Although I never saw myself making this change, it's time.

I have learned a lot while being at my firm. I have learned, for instance, how invaluable it has been to have a team of supportive attorneys and staff. And, although I've also learned that you can never please 100% of the people 100% of the time, trending in a positive direction has made this adventure at my firm one hell of a worthwhile ride.

I genuinely love the employees at the firm. The staff and the associate attorneys have my heart. In fact, it is my love for the employees that is leading me to go to the other side: namely, helping workers.

Working at a firm has merit. After all, at a firm, you are paid to be trained. So, I encourage others to go and get trained, but be sure to do so at a firm where the words "work-life balance" are not treated as though a pervert just flashed your grandmother. It might be hard to find such an employer, but it's important to put your own mask on first, as they say. You can't do well for your career or your clients if you are neglecting yourself.

I am hanging my own shingle, having absorbed all of the lessons that I've learned while at my firm. When I expand to hire employees, I will continue to encourage my team to have work-life balance, and I will remain dedicated to diversity at all levels.

Comments

  1. Time to update your "About me" section! I'm proud of you for doing what makes you happy and breaking so many barriers in the process. Wherever this new path takes you, I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I changed the "About Me" info. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment